Recently, I caught the Taiwanese hit movie, 我的少女時代 (Our Times) in the cinema twice, purely because of how nostalgic the entire film was, while reminiscing back on my days in secondary school. The first screening was with my boyfriend, whereas the second screening was with my old friend from high school, and I wouldn't have asked for a better audience to watch it with.

The movie's theme song, 小幸运 , has been replaying itself in my head, so I thought I'd attempt to translate the lyrics into English (since I couldn't find any satisfactory version online). I've tried my best to stay as close to the original Chinese lyrics as possible, but some idioms needed to be rephrased to better deliver its meaning in English, so here goes nothing!



Original lyrics:

我听见雨滴 落在青青草地
我听见远方 下课钟声响起
可是我没有听见你的声音 认真呼唤我姓名

爱上你的时候 还不懂感情
离别了 才觉得刻骨铭心
为什么没有发现 遇见了你 是生命最好的事情

也许当时
忙着微笑和哭泣 忙着追逐天空中的流星
人理所当然的忘记
是谁风里 雨里 一直默默守护在原地

原来你是 我最想留住的幸运
原来我们 和爱情曾经靠得那么近
那为我对抗世界的决定 那陪我淋的雨
一幕幕都是你 一尘不染的真心

与你相遇 好幸运
可我已失去 为你泪流满面的权利
但愿在我看不到的天际 你张开了双翼
遇见你的注定 她会有多幸运

青春是段跌跌撞撞的旅行
拥有着后知后觉的美丽
来不及感谢 是你给我勇气 让我能做回我自己

也许当时
忙着微笑和哭泣 忙着追逐天空中的流星
人理所当然的忘记
是谁风里 雨里 一直默默守护在原地

原来你是 我最想留住的幸运
原来我们 和爱情曾经靠得那么近
那为我对抗世界的决定 那陪我淋的雨
一幕幕都是你 一尘不染的真心

与你相遇 好幸运
可我已失去 为你泪流满面的权利
但愿在我看不到的天际 你张开了双翼
遇见你的注定 她会有多幸运




My English translation:


I hear the raindrops falling in the field;
And the ringing of a distant school bell, signalling that class is dismissed;
But I can no longer hear the sound of your voice earnestly calling out my name.

When I fell for you, I did not understand my feelings’
It was only after you left that I discovered how deeply etched they were in my heart;
Why did I not realize then that meeting you was the best thing to have happened in my life?

Perhaps, at that time,
We were too busy smiling and crying, too busy chasing the shooting stars in the sky;
It is only natural for people to forget;
The one who remained, silently watching out for us despite the winds and the rain.

[Chorus]
As it turns out, you were the happiness that I would love to keep;
We were once so close to love;
That determination to stand up to the world for me, the one who got drenched in the rain with me;
It had been you all along; with a sincere heart so pure.
Meeting you was my greatest fortune;
But I have since lost the privilege to shed tears for you.
As you spread your wings at the edge of the sky, out of my view,
The one who is is destined to meet you, she is more fortunate than I am. 

Youth is a fumbling journey;
Full of a beauty that we only realize too late after;
I didn’t get to thank you in time for giving me the courage to truly be myself. 

Perhaps, at that time,
We were too busy smiling and crying, busy chasing the shooting stars in the sky;
It is only natural for people to forget;
The one who remained, silently watching out for us despite the winds and the rain.


[Chorus]



If you have any suggestions on how a particular line should be rephrased for better effect, please feel free to let me know! :)

With love,
Budget Babe

0 Comments